Thursday, August 17, 2006

Cochin reminded me of my childhood, when, on Saturdays, I used to go to my grandfather's wholesale business on Royal Road in Port Louis. The 'godowns' in Mattancherry (a suburb of Cochin) with their spices and grains spilling on the road with their unique smells and the patiently confident looks on the face of the owners sipping tea or smoking a 'bidi' refreshed those memories. It was National Day and maybe the activities were somewhat toned down, but it was a very pleasant walk, to which the Monsoon rains only added character. The more touristy Fort Cochin itself is desperately trying to retain its unique colonial character (influenced in turn by the Portuguese, Dutch, French and British like Mauritius) in the face of a booming tourism industry, which made it slightly less appealing.
I'm back in Vellore and to its routines. I managed to find a flat to rent for the next couple of months instead of staying in a hotel. My registrar knew this Gujarati businessman whose sons apparently have a prosperous diamond business in Japan and Hong Kong. and who himself has a clothing retail shop on one of the busy shopping streets in Vellore- he knew another Gujarati guy whose brother owns a new complex about 10 minutes walk from the hospital: he asked Rs 3000 per month and the deal was made.I like the flat except for the squat Asian toilet- I thought I have to overcome this cultural obstacle, which might come in handy during my future travels in less 'civilised' parts of India- practice makes perfect eh! I'm moving in tomorrow night.
I'm moving to the laboratories next week to learn some practical aspects of laboratory haem, which will be useful. This week was a moving one for me on the ward - one of the 4 year old kids I had grown very fond had not responded to his chemotherapy and it was thought futile to carry on with 2nd line or aggressive treatment given they don;t have much finances. He went home and will be seen at his local hospital. He probably won't be alive by the time I leave India...
This weekend, I'm planning to visit some towns around Vellore...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home