Monday, August 28, 2006

I guess my airways were not too pleased by the temperature changes they were subjected to during last week. Weak from the ups-and-downs from comfortably cool airconditioned laboratory environment to the sweltering high 30s outside, they surrendered to viral attack. I couldn't have asked more of my immune system until then though. Anyway, I'm already on the recovery path.
I spent this weekend in a beachside village south of Chennai, about 4 hours by bus from here. Mamallapuram, is famous for its stone carvings. It has some amazing carvings from gigantic granite boulders dating from 670 AD that were unearthed only about 250 years ago- the moving sand dunes had claimed them only for the British to re-discover (Unfortunately, i still can't post you pictures...)The Shore Temple, apparently the most photographed monument in India (i'm slightly sceptical about this) is also there and does make some very photogenic pictures from afar- a closer inspection only reveals the prominent unsightly wrinkles from 1300 years of exposure to the salt, sand and winds (it faces the Bay of Bengal, only about 50m from the seafront)- most of the details have been polished smooth by time.
The beach stroll in the morning at sunset was as awesome as the sunset there, with a backdrop of fishermen sorting out their nets and getting their colourful boats ready for the sea.
I met quite a few guys in Mamallapuram who had just finished their 'Process' at the Oneness University. Its run by someone called Bhagavan and a female avatar and they receive hudreds of people (rich mainly as it cost $5000) who live together for 21 days and learn about cleansing the mind of negative thoughts and thought processes and learn how to become more spiritual and lead less stressful lives. I also learnt about 'diksha' which is a way one person can 'transfer' energy to another and spread this spiritual enlightenment aimed to make the world a happier place. Fresh from this experience, the guys I met seemed to be on a higher, more 'peaceful' level certainly. Fear not! I'm not a convert to this, but it was certainly interesting to meet so many people who felt this had changed their lives in a positive way and the mesage does seem a genuine one. http://www.onenessuniversity.org/oneness/cms/home/movement/ for those interested.
I'm reading an autobiography of RK Narayan. I also bought Forster's 'A Passge to India and 'A fine balance' by Rohinton Mistr. RK Narayan's pivotal years were based in Mysore and that's where I'm heading next weekend.
Some comments about food: i've been eating all my meals so far with my hands- much more tasty- randomised control performed to confirm this fact- must have an effect on the appetite and taste centres!! The Thalis are delicious and fairly varied. They serve meat at the hospital mess, which adds variety. Vadai and Dosas for snack and breakfast with coconut chutney and sambar when I do have breakfast. Amazing kerala fish curry so far was the best! This morning I had toast and jam and butter, the first western meal I've had for a long while! Papaya and mangoes and custard apples are my favourite fruits....
My flat: Moved in last week. Settled in smoothly and getting used to the toilet facilities. I've got 20 litre water dsipensers that my landlord kindly placed for me. There is no hot shower but there's a heater that's connected to one of the taps. The truth is there's not been a single moment in Vellore that i've longed for hot water!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home